top of page
  • HEGO

Seconds Get Cup off to a Winning Start

The J1’s began their cup campaign with a hard fought 33 29 win over Seapoint in Kilbogget park on Sunday. Rock got off to the best possible start when David Scott-Lennon crossed in the corner after a lengthy build up. Scott-lennon converted admirably from the touchline in tough conditions to give his team a 7 0 lead. The positive of an early try was cancelled out by the loss of Captain Gavin Bolger to a broken hand after the opening phase but nevertheless Rock continued to use the gale force wind to their advantage and this time it was the forwards turn to get in on the act. James Tate diving in from close range after some strong carrying before Job Langbroek followed him over from a well worked maul. Dave Scott Lennon converting the first to give rock a 19 0 lead after the first quarter. However, strong defence from the hosts began to frustrate their visitors and the early rock onslaught was neutralised. It took until late in the half for rock to get on the score sheet again. Billy Glynn continuing his rich try scoring form with a close range snipe to give a confident rock side a 26 0 lead. This would have been an adequate first half display considering the strong wind at the back of the visitors but Seapoint pounced to cross the whitewash just before the half time whistle to cut the deficit to 26 7.

Seapoint came out hungry in the second half and immediately began to use the conditions to their advantage. The injuries continued to mount up for Rock and Cian Mcginley and Rory McEvoy must be commended for doing a stint in with the forwards. Soon the deficit was cut to 26 19 with 15 minutes of action left and Rock were nervously looking over their shoulder. That deficit was wiped soon after and the cup run was threatening to be over before it really started. A dubious penalty gave the Seapoint 10 the opportunity to give his side the lead with five minutes remaining and he made no mistake. Not for the first time this season Rock found themselves in a tense game edging towards the final whistle. Half breaks from the ever durable Joe Scott Lennon and Jan Simon Byrne threatened but tiny errors were derailing the cup challenge until scrum half Billy Glynn had a brainwave. After quick tapping a penalty Glynn was faced one on one with the full back. As everyone would do with the last play of the game, Glynn decided to put boot to ball and expertly found the opposing full backs knee, the ball spiralled into the air and bounced gratefully into his supporting team mate Brian Colclough’s hands (at the second attempt of catching) and the out half waddled his way from 30m to the try line. Dave Scott Lennon converted to complete the 33 29 win.

Next up for the J1 in the Metro Cup is Malahide in Stradbrook but concentration shifts to Greystones this weekend in the Metro League.

39 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page