top of page
  • Blackrock College RFC

First XV. V. Nenagh Ormond Match Report

Updated: Jan 9

AIL 2A Round 8

vs Nenagh Ormond RFC


Another week and another game of the proverbial two halves in Stradbrook.

We appear to either come out of the blocks well or end the game well.

This week against Nenagh Ormond it was most certainly the latter.

It was pretty much ‘even-stevens’ for the first twenty minutes, with some solid defence by both sides keeping the game scoreless.

Thee penalties to the visitors saw them 9 : 0 up after thirty six minutes. Just before the break, Nenagh scored a TRY in the coroner from a maul off a lineout to lead 14 : 0.

The conversion attempt, into the wind missed and we were glad to head to the interval to regroup.


0 : 14

Regroup we did, as six minutes into the second half, James ‘Jesus’ Fennelly made a perfectly weighted cross-field kick which fell in Matt Dwans’ hands like a floating feather coming into land and Dwan scored in the right corner to get us on the board.

Difficult conversion attempt into the wind missed.


5 : 14

With over an hour gone and after a great deal of time spent in the Nenagh half, our efforts paid off as Mattie Cosgrove scored off the back of a maul.

Kicker Quirke added the extras and we were back within two points.


12 : 14

Nenagh came back strong in the last ten minutes. They were camped on our line for phase after phase. A turnover gave us some much needed respite and we kicked into their half.

The Ref. awarded us a penalty for not releasing and Quirkie tried for goal. It had the legs, but just went to the left of the posts.

Little did we know that one of the most incredible endings we have ever witnessed at Stradbrook was about to unfold.

With a couple of minutes left, Nenagh kicked into our half.

Full back, Brian ‘Cokes’ Colclough caught the ball in the middle of the pitch at our 22.

With the wind behind him, he attempted a 50/22, which looked like it was going to be a 50/10.

As the ball was in the air, the Nenagh lads stopped running back as it looked as though the ball was heading for the car park. The ball landed a metre inside the sideline and bounced straight up in the air, eventually sitting still more or less where it had first landed.

Cokes was the only one running after the ball and he even looked behind him, wondering if the Ref. had blown his whistle. There was nobody near him as he scooped up the ball to score the winning TRY.


17 : 14

The Carl Gross Menswear MOTM as voted by the panel was Matthew Dwan.

For all your menswear needs see:

Next up is Cashel in Spafield on Saturday, December 10th.

This is our final game before the Christmas break.

54 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page