Blackrock College RFC ACADEMY 2018-2019
Season 2020 brings a new and exciting development with the launch of the Blackrock College RFC Academy for our Un19 and Un20 players.
Our core purpose is “Developing Talent”. This is underpinned by our four key strategic pillars. Players of all abilities Academy dedicated to “developing talent” for two age groups:
• Un 19 – Players born on or after 1st July 2000
• Un 20 – Players born on or after 1st July 1999
Open to players from across the Irish rugby community including:
• School’s rugby
• Senior Challenge Cup (All provinces)
• Vinnie Murray Cup (Leinster and equivalent provincial competitions)
• House Teams players
• Players who have JCT experience & want to restart playing again
• Club Rugby
• Players who have played for their local Rugby Club
• University Rugby
• Freshers – 1st year students including those coming to study in Dublin
• 2nd Years
• Representative Players
• Who have represented their province and or country at either Un18; Un19 & Un 20 levels
• Located in Blackrock… but not for Blackrock, our doors are open to players:
• From all parts of Dublin & Ireland
• Coming to study or work in Dublin
'Developing talent” requires the Academy to engage the best coaching talent available.
Our Academy Coaching team will:
• Be aligned to our mission / purpose
• Can build & lead a coaching team - forwards/ backs /scrum / line outs / kicking / contact/ game tactics.
• Have appropriate coaching accreditation from the IRFU and may have experience in working with Un18; Un19 and un20 interprovincial & or international teams
• Ideally with interprovincial and or international playing experience.
Un 19 & Un20 Programme Content:
• Build & monitor Individual player skills development programs
• S&C programme planned & monitored
• Technical coaching of skills & position specific skills
• SAQ programme – Speed Agility & Quickness
• Build & deliver Team and Game Day tactics
• Match analysis Individual & team performance review
Blackrock College RFC are very proud of our facilities at Stradbrook which includes:
• Flood light pitch
• Three additional grass pitches
• State of the art gymnasium
• Shower block complete with ice baths
• Medical / Physiotherapy room
• New changing rooms
To attract and retain Academy members the Club needs to minimise the logistical challenge of how the players transport themselves to training during the season.
Many Academy members are students and rely on public transport and Stradbrook is poorly served in that regard.
Constant access to and use of a 4G All Weather pitch to drive talent development.
The Academy is currently working on accessing a 4G All Weather pitch. Additionally, it is hoped that such a facility within close proximity to DART Station and public bus routes. We are hoping to announce this location prior to the start of the season.
Academy members will be joining the rugby club and be voting members of the Club. Membership fees wil also provide some Club benefits including kit and pavilion access and account credit.
“Developing talent” requires the Academy to provide an environment that allows all players / members to grow personally and socially in tandem, with their rugby skill development objectives.
Feedback from Un20 players summarized that they want to:
• Play games regularly and avoid being “gym bunnies”
• Have fun with their friends and like-minded players
• Be competitive in League & Cup and win some silverware
• Develop their skills & game tactics
• Make Stradbrook a fun place to be part of
• Un20’s not used as cannon fodder for senior teams to cover injuries
• Have the best coaches and team managers
• Go on an in-season tour to coincide with an away game or tournament
So, we have listened and many of the Academy activities going forward are in response to the
past players feedback.
We will welcome continuous feedback from our Academy members so feel free to discuss any issues with your Academy Coaches, Team Manager and Academy Director.